Certain accents make your house feel like a home, and with these hand-woven Magnolia Placemats, your dining area will look more welcoming than ever before. Featuring a subtle fringe and striped pattern in soft, gentle colors, they have a relaxed appeal that’s effortlessly cozy.
The unparalleled craftsmanship uses traditional techniques to preserve Guatemala’s rich heritage and create high-quality, durable textiles. Though lightweight and soft, these placemats will remain beautiful as they grace your family table for years to come.
- HANDMADE. Skilled artisans throughout Guatemala plant, grow, and spin the cotton, hand-weaving it into soft, beautiful, naturally-colored fabric.
- NATURAL. Produced using no dyes whatsoever. Reclaimed denim fibers are incorporated into the fabric to achieve the blue color, and the brown color is a naturally-occurring feature of the rare, unusual Ixcaco-Cuyuscate variety of cotton.
- AUTHENTIC. The traditional methods used in cultivating and processing the indigenous cotton aim to preserve Guatemalan culture and its rich Mayan heritage.
- SUSTAINABLE. Loom-woven from recycled denim threads and local, sustainably-grown, 100% organic cotton fabric.
- DURABLE. Expertly crafted using spinning and weaving techniques handed down and refined through generations, yielding high quality textiles that are beautiful, authentic, and outstandingly well-made.
Woven of 100% organic cotton by skilled artisans in Guatemala, each placemat is handmade every step of the way, from planting the cotton seeds all the way to loom-weaving the fabric. These craftsmen don’t use any dyes to achieve the soft, gentle stripes — the chocolate color comes from the rare, indigenous Ixcaco-Cuyuscate, a naturally-brown variety of cotton historically used by the artisans’ Mayan ancestors. Threads of locally-sourced recycled denim are deftly woven into raw, white cotton to create the light blue color.
- 17 x 14 inches
- CULTURE PRESERVATION. Algodones Mayas was founded in 1995, with the dream of preserving the Guatemalan culture, its land, its natural colors, and its fabrics. Algodones Mayas further preserves this legacy by growing and weaving Green-Jade cotton fiber, which was born of the mixture of the original colors.The color cotton fiber harvested from the plant of these seeds has no natural or chemical dyes.
- The fabrics are woven by skilled craftsmen from different regions of Guatemala who collaborate with Algodones Mayas to create art and maintain tradition, generation after generation. Many of these artisans are now entrepreneurs who will leave a solid foundation for generations to come.
- SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE. Algodones Mayas is a socially responsible company that supports its artisans and weavers. Thanks to our perseverance, technology, and outreach, we can offer a better future for their children and future entrepreneurs. Read More
Created by hand, demonstrating the unique skill of the artisan and supporting one-of-a-kind pieces in a world of homogenized mass production.
Made with recycled or reclaimed materials that have been extracted and reconditioned for a new use. This process minimizes the flow of waste into landfills.
Created and directed in a cooperative structure, with proceeds reinvested into the community to enable self-sustainability and economic development.